Wednesday, January 6, 2010
1.1 How did you use technology K-12?
My first memory of using a computer in school was in first grade. We were allowed to go to the library where there was one Macintosh computer for every 2 or 3 students. We would have to share and take turns playing with applications and games such as Paint and the Oregon Trail. Mostly we were just allowed to play games and using computers was used as a reward rather than a tool to learn (although many of the games were educational). I remember having an overhead projector as early as 3rd grade. We also used many movies and programs to supplement our studies. As I transitioned into middle school, computers became a staple when creating class projects and writing papers. I became familiar with Word and PowerPoint very quickly. We did not have any computers in the classroom and still had to go to the computer lab in the library to access them at school. Overhead projectors were used daily in class and every morning we had to watch a news program called 'Channel 1'. Through high school the internet, Word, PowerPoint and other various computer technologies were used in classes. We still did not have computers in the classroom but by then almost every student had access to a computer at home and there were computers with internet access in the library.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
Did you like channel 1. I do not. I do, however, think it would be interesting to have students create their own T.V. channel. What do you think about allowing students to use cell phones with internet access in the classroom?
ReplyDeleteI didn't care for Channel 1 but it didn't bother me. We were forced to watch it and it took away from class time so we didn't really mind. I think that by making students create their own TV broadcasts it would force them to think about the issues at hand and also become more receptive to the material presented in the "real world". I really don't think that using cell phones is a good idea though because the temptation to surf the web and text is too much. Also, what about the kids who don't have cell phones?
ReplyDelete